Praying for worldly blessings?

Praying for worldly blessings?


I think the issue boils down to the fact that people are too focused on the world here and now. We think Christ came to give us our better life now; He didn't. The promise He consistently gave was that His sheep would not perish but have eternal life through faith in Him (John 3:16). The apostle Paul accounted all the glory and fame he had in his Pharisaical position as rubbish (in fact, the original Greek could be translated as "crap") in exchange for eternal life with Christ (Phi 3:7-11). The Eternal Word descended to man so that man might ascend to God (Eph 4:9-10). The original apostles save John were all willingly martyred because they knew they would be with their Lord. Early Christians were willingly martyred because they considered this life a momentary affliction compared to the glory of eternity with God (2 Cor 4:17).

Nowadays there is so little emphasis on the afterlife, and therefore our spiritual dreams and goals are minimal compared to our material lusts. I think partially this is because mortality has become a secondary worry - that is, until about 150 years ago there was a good chance someone we knew was going to die. Certainly in Martin Luther's day, the reason so many were focused on spiritual things was because they knew there was a good chance they might not survive the year. Nowadays, where the average lifespan is 80 years old and you're only real chance of dying (at least in the western world) is by car accident, we aren't as focused on those things. That's why the spiritual things get put on the back-burner, and we focus on material things: we now have a naturally long time to enjoy them, and the fact that this naturally long time could be interrupted at some point is not ingrained into our mind set.

The fact is, death is real, and judgment is real. The aim of Christianity has not changed since our Lord ascended to the right hand of the Father. At the moment, I write this using the wireless in a restaurant, but on my way to work I could get in a car crash and die. Do you think, when I die, that I will be taking my car, my netbook, my iTouch, or anything else with me? I will be taking nothing but my body and soul, and will be judged before a righteous Lord. I am dead to the ways of the world, and my life is hidden in Christ - if God finds Christ in my heart, only then can I be given eternal life. With Christ in my heart, there will be nothing to give me but eternal life...because that is precisely all that God promised those who believe.

On that note, I end with this passage from Colossians:
Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory. [Col 3:1-4; NASB]
__________________                                                                    Edwards1984

Comments

அதிகமாகப் படிக்கப்பட்டச் செய்திகள்